Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Sometimes God Says No

          The last time I updated you, plans were underway for 2-3 weeks in Costa Rica. Thanks to Eric Swanson, I had been connected to Sarah and Daniel from Horizon Church Jaco, and was working with them to figure out my stay. They are absolutely wonderful and have been so incredibly helpful! When figuring out the details of my trip, the timeline was narrowed to the second half of July because a majority of their staff are gone until then, and I have to be home for a school commitment in early August. Sarah quickly began searching for a host family for my visit, but nothing popped up. We kept persevering, but unfortunately all potential host families are already hosting or out of town during my timeline. Sarah also gave me the option of staying in a local hostel/hotel instead. When discussing it with my family, we decided that we were not comfortable with that option, as I have never traveled solely by myself or in a foreign country. For a trip of this nature, I would like to be fully immersed in the culture and live like the missionaries and locals who call Jaco home. All things considered, my family and I have decided to not force this trip to Costa Rica to happen. I believe that sometimes, God says no, and I believe now is one of those times. We thoroughly considered every possible option and fought until the end to make this opportunity work, but we know that if God wants it to work out, it will. That being said, I will not be traveling for missions at all this summer. I am disappointed, but know that God's plan is greater than my own! My relationship with Daniel and Sarah is great and we have already discussed the potential opportunity to go and serve with them next summer. Keeping you, my supporters, informed is one of my highest priorities and I hope you understand why we made the decision we did. Thank you for all your prayers and support through this growth-filled experience, and I will update you again in the next couple months as I begin to research gap-year options and missions for the next summer. If you have any questions, please please ask. 

Much love, 

Emory

No comments:

Post a Comment